Associate Research Professor
University of Alaska Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320
Office: IARC 323
Surface-atmosphere processes, air quality, airborne and satellite remote sensing
- 1995 University of Innsbruck, Austria, MSc in Natural Sciences at the Institute for Meteorology & Geophysics
- 1999 University of Innsbruck, Austria, PhD in Natural Sciences at the Institute for Meteorology & Geophysics
- Since 2014
Research Associate Professor at the Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- Since 2012
Assistant Director Alaska Climate Research Center
- Since 2011
Assistant Professor at the University of Alaska Fairbanks Community and Technical College
- 2010 - 2014
Research Assistant Professor at the Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2002 - 2010
Research Associate at the Geophysical Institute and the Arctic Region Supercomputing Center, the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2001 - 2002
Post-Doctoral fellow at the Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 1995 - 2001
Research Scientist Institute for Meteorology and Geophysics, University of Innsbruck
Elements of Weather, Aviation Technology AVTY F235
- Alaska North Slope (USA), regular visits at the Alaska sites of the U.S. Department of Energy - Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program, 2008-present. Instrument operational support; http://www.arm.gov
- Southern Patagonian Icefield, annual expeditions 1995 - 2001. Glaciological field measurements
- Kim C.K., M. Stuefer, C.G. Schmitt, A.J. Heymsfield, and G. Thompson, 2014: Numerical Modeling of Ice Fog in Interior Alaska Using the Weather Research and Forecasting Model. Pure and Applied Geophysics, pp. 1–20, 2014.
- Schmitt C.G., M. Stuefer, A.J. Heymsfield, and C.K. Kim, 2013: The microphysical properties of ice fog measured in urban environments of Interior Alaska. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, Vol. 118, no. 19, pp. 11–136, 2013.
- Stuefer M., S.R. Freitas, G. Grell, P. Webley, S. Peckham, S.A. McKeen, and S.D. Egan, 2013: Inclusion of ash and SO2 emissions from volcanic eruptions in WRF-Chem: development and some applications. Geoscientific Model Development, Vol. 6, no.2, pp. 457–468, 2013.
- Webley P., T. Steensen, M. Stuefer, G. Grell, S.R. Freitas, and M. Pavolonis, 2012: Analyzing the Eyjafjallajökull 2010 eruption using satellite remote sensing, lidar and WRF-Chem dispersion and tracking model. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 117, D00U26, 21 pp., 2012.
- Steensen T., M. Stuefer, P. Webley, G. Grell, S. Freitas, 2012: Qualitative comparison of Mount Redoubt 2009 volcanic clouds using the PUFF and WRF-Chem dispersion models and satellite remote sensing data. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research VOLGEO-04859.
- Grell G., S. Freitas, M. Stuefer, J. Fast, 2011: Inclusion of Biomass Burning in WRF-Chem: Impact of Wildfires on Weather Forecasts. Journal of Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 5289–5303, 2011.
- Wendler G., J. Conner, B. Moore, M. Shulski, M. Stuefer, 2010: Climatology of Alaskan wildfires with spezial emphasis on the extreme year of 2004. Journal of Theor. Appl. Climatol., 2010.
- Maxwell D., M. Truffer, S. Avdonin, M. Stuefer, 2008: An iterative scheme for determining glacier velocities and stresses. Journal of Glaciology, Vol. 54, No. 188. pp. 888-898.
- Stuefer M., H. Rott and P. Skvarca. 2007. Glaciar Perito Moreno, Patagonia: Climate sensitivities and glacier characteristics preceding the 2003/2004 and 2005/2006 damming events. Journal of Glaciology, Volume 53 (180), 2007.
- Stuefer M, X. Meng and G. Wendler, 2005. MM5 Contrail Forecasting in Alaska. Monthly Weather Review, Vol. 133, No. 12, pages 3517-3526; December issue of MWR on High Latitude Numerical Weather Prediction.
- Wendler G. , B. Moore, B. Hartmann and M. Stuefer, 2004. The effects of multiple reflection and albedo on the net radiation in the pack ice zones of Antarctica. Journal of Geophysical Research (JD003927).
- Webley P., M. Stuefer, D. Morton, T. Steensen, G. Grell, S. Freitas, 2011: WRF-Chem Volcanic Ash Modeling Evaluation, Technical Report, Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA), Systems Engineering, Management and Sustainment (SEMS) II, 65 pp.
- Stuefer M.: Modeling ice fog using WRF-Chem’ in Hanks, C., and G. Holdmann, (Eds.). 2009: CO2 sequestration options and other environmental issues related to the proposed coal-to-liquids facility at Eielson Air Force Base. Prepared for the U.S. Air Force by the Geophysical Institute and the Alaska Center for Energy and Power, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 191 pp.
- Stuefer M. and G. Wendler, 2004: Contrail studies and forecasts in the subarctic atmosphere above Fairbanks, Alaska. Preprints, 11th Conference on Aviation, Range, and Aerospace Meteorology, Hyannis, MA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., P8.13.
- Wendler G., M. Stuefer, August 2002. Improved Contrail Forecasting Techniques for the Subarctic Setting of Fairbanks, Alaska. Geophysical Institute of the University of Alaska Report (UAG R-329).
- Stuefer M., G. Wendler, B. Moore and M. Robb, March 2002. Improved Contrail Forecasting Techniques. UPOS interim report.
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)